New Year’s Resolutions. I know it’s like, mid-January but it’s totally on my mind because there’s a gym a block away from my house. That gym shares a parking lot with Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. I am inadvertently getting exercise because I have to park in the waaaayy back of the parking lot when I want to go get food. I know about a month or two from now, a lot of the people who bought those memberships will be cancelling and joining me in line at Trader Joe’s with cookie butter and white cheddar puffs in their baskets. Welcome back friends.
This year, I resolve to sleep more. You’re like, “But Thuy Lan! That’s not how New Year’s resolutions work. Do you not understand because you’re Asian?” and I’m all, “No, guys. You don’t know me. You don’t know my life. Don’t judge me.” People are under the impression that college students are lazy. I don’t deny that. We can be lazy sometimes. But to be entirely honest with you, we’re all also kind of awesome. Who else do you know that can (try to) learn an entire semester’s worth of information a week before finals? Subsist on hummus and Naked Green Machine for a whole week because we’re broke? DRINK EVERYTHING? Hah. No. I don’t know.
I’m a journalism major. A broadcast journalism major. I don’t sleep a lot. I picked the wrong major and the wrong career if I wanted to sleep. Screwed for life, I guess. What’s super terrible is that I’m on camera. HD. High-definition. Look at my tired eyes! Do you see my pores? Do you see I’m breaking out? My flyaways? Of course you do, it’s HD (also known in my terms as HOT DAMN, she looks like she needs some sleep). I also work a part time job. Whatever, no complaints because a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do, y’all. I’m a morning person but also a night owl which makes no sense because you have to just choose one. I also like to keep myself really busy, so all of this is kind of my own fault. Whatever. This year, I resolve to sleep more.
So to all of you out there who make ‘lazy’ resolutions or don’t make resolutions, skip the gym, grab yourself some butter, make these snickerdoodles and live. Anthony Bourdain would be so proud of us.
Brown Butter Snickerdoodles
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup bread flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
Sugar rolling mix:
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ tablespoon cinnamon
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir consistently with a wooden spoon, butter will foam. It will start to brown, when it does, immediately remove from heat and transfer to glass bowl to cool. (It can burn very quickly!)
2. In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, bread flour, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
3. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar to butter mixture, mix until incorporated.
4. Add in milk, vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk.
5. In small batches, mix in flour mixture.
6. Chill dough in fridge for 2 at least two hours, overnight is best!
7. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Once dough is chilled, roll into 2 tablespoon sized balls, roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
8. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes, just until cookies have started to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let them continue to cook slightly on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to wire rack.